Our History

Establishment Institute for the Deaf and Blind 1881
Establishment Institute for the Deaf and Blind.

1881

Production Units for the Blind launched 1933
Production Units for the Blind launched.

1933

11 - Ds Luckhoff
Institute for the Blind receives separate constitution to Institute for the Deaf.
Rev AD Lückhoff nominated as first chairman of Governing Board for separate Institute for the Blind.

1991

1995 - Appointment of first Executive Head : Dr Johan van der Poel.
Appointment of first Executive Head : Dr Johan van der Poel.

1995

Institute for the Blind registered as programme of Badisa. Mr JAC (Freddie) Botha appointed as second Institute for the Blind Executive Head 2003
Institute for the Blind registered as programme of Badisa. Mr JAC (Freddie) Botha appointed as second Institute for the Blind Executive Head.

2003

Information Centre launched
Information Centre launched.

2011

Two separate schools : School for the Deaf and School for the Blind
Two separate schools : School for the Deaf and School for the Blind.

1905

Brevis Home for the elderly established 1977
Brevis Home for the elderly established.

1977

Production Units renamed to Worcester Industries 1992
Production Units renamed to Worcester Industries.

1992

Dr Petrus Botes appointed as head of Pioneer School. SA School Act : Pioneer School autonomous with own Governing Board.
Dr Petrus Botes appointed as head of Pioneer School. SA School Act : Pioneer School autonomous with own Governing Board.

1996

03 - Moreligpers. 1931
Institute for the Blind Governing Board expands : four members included as employee representatives.

2005

Establishment of first cooperative (weaving) in Industries Production Units 2015
Establishment of first cooperative (weaving) in Industries Production Units.

2015

Innovation-for-the-blind

Launch of Innovation for the Blind.

2018